Wednesday, August 3, 2011

5 Exciting Things to Do with Little Kids

So, I have been busy babysitting every single day this summer because I have no life...no...maybe...well. Ha. Okay, I've babysitting to get money and because I have nothing better to do with my time, but it's not that bad. I love the kids I babysit. But, sometimes kids just get bored. So, I thought about writing a post about things you could do with kids that the kids will definitely enjoy. This has no specific order really, but I'm just numbering them.

1. Scavenger Hunt

Little kids love scavenger hunts because applesauce, I don't know why. Maybe, they just do. Anyway, scavenger hunts do not have to be as big and crazy like as you might think. It can be simple as just hiding something and having the kids find it. Why, of course, I want to train my kids to be search-and-rescue dogs...

2. Puppet Shows

I never actually planned to have a puppet show with my babysitting kids until we made paper bag puppets. They suggested it, and I thought it was a good idea. It was quite fun actually since we actually had an audience. Paper bag puppets are really easy to make especially with animals. If you need a site for this, I do have one: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/puppets/paperbag/

3. Cardboard Cities

Now, this is probably not the best thing for younger kids, but for older ones, it is really fun. Basically, you take empty boxes (cereal boxes, shoe boxes, and stuff like that) and wrap them with construction paper. We used cardboard on the bottom and wrapped it. Really, you can just use your own creativity with this one along with the creativity of the kids. It's fun really. It's a lot of work though, and we used a lot of paper. Try to find ways to conserve though. We had an airport, apartment building, and other buildings too. We even made pipe cleaner doll and dogs for people. We made cars and even an airplane.

4. Feeding their interests

I think feeding their interests is one of the most important things ever because what a kid likes can tell a lot about the kid. But it can also make it a lot easier for you. For example, if a kid likes Pokemon, what kid wouldn't want to color Squirtle or some other Pokemon. If a kid likes princesses, she probably enjoys playing make-believe. If a kid likes to play sports, playing tag or other outdoor activities are probably something he/she would enjoy.

5. Plan Themed Activities

Kids love to have themed activities. Well, at least most kids. For example, if you want to have a fish theme, you could teach them about fish (learning), give them fish coloring worksheets (drawing), watch a movie about fish like Finding Nemo (fun), and play some fish games outside or maybe you could even go swimming. The kids would probably just eat it right up.

*****

Okay, initially, I had ten things to do with little kids, but I was interrupted while writing it. Forgot about it. So epic fail. But now, I realize that WHY THE HELL AM I WRITING AN ADVICE COLUMN? Yeah, what I written above is kind of not me. I have a rapidly changing personality so....beware!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and receive flying men at your doorstep. Wait, did I mean men. I meant pigs. Comment!